Friday 9 May 2008

The Cans Festival

The Cans Festival, Waterloo:


Following on from my previous post about street art I was so excited when I heard there was a festival on the subject in London. The Cans festival organised by Banksy is situated in Leake Street, a half mile long tunnel that runs the width of Waterloo Station. The installation was given permission by Eurostar who own the site and Banksy invited around 29 other street artists from all over the world to take part and create their own pieces in the tunnel. In Banksy's words he has turned a "dark forgotten filth pit into an oasis of beautiful art".


I was too late to see the props and see members of the public create their own pieces of work over the bank holiday weekend, but I did manage to see the remaining works. It was so refreshing to see so many different styles in one place and each was witty, creative imaginative and colourful.


I think in the end I probably ended up taking a photo of every piece, as it was so fun and interesting and if you like street art then I recommend you see it. If you don't like street art, then go see it anyway, as it might change your mind :)

Artists include Banksy, James Dodd, Kaagman, John Grider, Logan Hicks, Bandit, Dotmasters and my favourite artist of the festival C215, where I like his style and the lines running through the images mixed with a wallpaper pattern background, but you have to look at it closely to appreciate it most.


I also liked Banksy's graffiti cleaner who's removal prehistoric styled art work, the painting gorilla and more a less everything else!!!








1 comment:

narrylikes said...

can't tell you how much joy this brought into my life... i mean day :)